Before You Film

Streamline the production process with everything you need to know before filming in the Wellington region

Apply for a film permit

Whether you're part of a film crew or a student filming for a school project, a permit is required to film in most public locations in the Wellington region. Screen Wellington issues and facilitates film permits on behalf of all councils in the Wellington region, including Wellington City, Porirua, Lower Hutt, Upper Hutt, the Kāpiti Coast, and the Wairarapa.

Permit applications

It’s a land of contrasts here, so you’ve got a choice of the kind of story you want to tell

Writer/director Linda Niccol

Health and safety

Film and television sets can be fast-paced and demanding environments where health and safety measures are required to maintain the wellbeing of all cast and crew.

Check out ScreenSafe's Guidelines, Health and Safety Plan, and Risk Assessment templates to ensure best practice on and off set.

Public liability insurance

To get permission to film in public spaces, productions must show proof of public liability insurance. This insurance covers the legal responsibilities of your production if your activities cause injury to a third party or damage to property.

If you’re a student, your organisation should have this insurance, but you’ll need to provide proof of your permit.

Get in touch

We can help you to obtain a film permit, secure studio space, establish connections with post-production, VFX and mixing facilities or suggest potential locations.

Contact Us