Film permit applications

To film in most public locations in the Wellington Region, you need a permit - no matter how small your crew is or if you are a student.

Permit delays

With COVID-19 cases increasing in Wellington, please be prepared for the processing of film permits to take longer than usual. Expect reduced hours, potentially closed facilities, and affected services as staff may be required to self-isolate.

COVID-19 - Wellington region at Orange

The Wellington Region is currently at Orange. 

All projects need to register their production with ScreenSafe. Film permits for the Wellington region will not be granted without this registration and the usual Health and Safety and Risk Assessment plans signed off by the Screen Wellington team. 

Health and Safety Plan and Risk Assessment templates are available on the ScreenSafe website. Your plans must cover off COVID Level protocols (PDF 2MB) including ensuring a COVID QR code poster is printed for each location.

More information: 

Apply for a permit

Screen Wellington issues and facilitates film permits on behalf of all councils in the Wellington region. This includes Wellington City, Porirua, Lower Hutt, Upper Hutt, the Kāpiti Coast, and the Wairarapa.

As soon as you know where and when you want to film, log in to FilmApp and apply:

Apply for a film permit

Public Liability Insurance

To get permission to film in public spaces, all productions (international and domestic) need to show proof of Public Liability Insurance. This insurance covers the legal responsibilities of your production if your activities cause injury to a third party or damage to property.

If you're a student your school or university will generally have public liability insurance that covers you and your production. You'll need to provide a copy of their certificate for your permit.

Find out more

For permitting or general questions, email us at [email protected] and we will work with you to make your project possible.